elysemarie's blog

Samples 6 & 7- Basic Boot Block and Back Zipper

This is the pattern making and construction for a basic, midcalf-high slouchy boot, altering the original pattern from a side zipper to a back zipper. I will be able to use this pattern as a building block for my two pairs of boots in my collection.

First, I pulled the pieces I would be using and/or altering to make the basic boot.

necessary pieces for the boot block and zipper alteration.

necessary pieces for the boot block and zipper alteration.

First, I altered the back heel pattern, splitting it down the middle to accomodate the back zipper. I added a 3/8″ seam allowance after tracing off and splitting the pattern.

heel pattern, traced off and split, ready to next add seam allowance.

heel pattern, traced off and split, ready to next add seam allowance.

Next, I altered the back inside leg pattern. I took out the elastic pieces at the top, as well as altered the seams so the zipper goes in the back seam.

traced off pattern, adding seam allowance.

traced off pattern, adding seam allowance.

traced off and altered, with removed elastic.

traced off and altered, with removed elastic.

Next, I altered the lining to remove the zipper from the inside of the leg and move it to the back. I cut out the area of the zipper and joined the pattern by gluing it down to another piece of oaktag, bringing the seams together and then blending them. I then added the seam allowance to the back for the zipper.

altered inside lining to eliminate side zipper and move it to the back of the leg.

altered inside lining to eliminate side zipper and move it to the back of the leg.

These were the last of the pattern alterations. I then cut out and sewed up the sample boot, incorporating the new zipper, eliminating the elastic, and using the altered lining.

skiving the leather using my boyfriend's old fashioned razor, since the skiving machines were down. This worked like a charm!

skiving the leather using my boyfriend's old fashioned razor, since the skiving machines were down. This worked like a charm!

piece with seam allowance measured and taped, rubber cement drying and some parts already turned.

piece with seam allowance measured and taped, rubber cement drying and some parts already turned.

stitching the toe piece to the front and foot top of the boot.

stitching the toe piece to the front and foot top of the boot.

completely turned front and top of foot on boot; this is the slouchy part.

completely turned front and top of foot on boot; this is the slouchy part.

heel part with out skived so rubber cement will adhere better.

heel part with out skived so rubber cement will adhere better.

Next, I lasted the boot after it was sewn, though only a partial lasting for the sample.

the lasted boot

the lasted boot

back zipper close up

back zipper close up

breaking the last to remove the boot!

breaking the last to remove the boot!

the finished boot and the last used.

the finished boot and the last used.

Finally, the sample is finished, shown next to the last. I will try to figure out how to make my pictures appropriately oriented for next time!

Advertisements
This entry was published on October 13, 2009 at 2:21 am and is filed under Senior Collection. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: